Thursday, September 18, 2008

Still diggin the beach life at the beachhouse in North Cackalacky

I went to do some 'honey do' list items with Jack and we stopped and he forced me to eat Bojangle's again. mmm, good.
I wented with Robert and Scott and Kelly/ie?, ya know I dunno, I reckon I should aks, to the land of Devil Dogs.  We wents to the MCX (gub'ment department sto, kinda like a JCP or supm). 
The next moenin we went on a deapsea fishing trip. It was an early rise morning likened unto those that I once was accustomed to, well not quite that early, but frickin 5:20 still, much earlier than my beach bum arse has been accustomed to for the past couple years. We started at like 7. It was nice and cold and extra choppy. The seas were so rough, as a mattafack, that dudeman cap'n said we might just turn around and not even fish. This coupled with several other things that I will use as valid excuses, led to me 'almost', I repeat 'almost' being like one a them 'boot'-like peeps like Scott's Air Force dad, for example, who spent most of the journey face down over the water or sleeping in the forward cabin.

'Almost' because, here's my excuses: (1) I haven't been on any kind of a ship or, especially in this case boat, which is a small floater like the fishing vessel, for three and a half years, (2) this was a small boat in very rough seas, (3) It was cold, which always made me feel woozy and ready for a nap on the big flat tops, and (4) I was tired and not quite rested from being quite drunk just a few hours before. Yes, I could just pretend like it never happened and let it slip into obscurity. However, I am not the braggard type and I can't help but be honest with myself. 

When I say almost, I mean frickin almost, like I was standing at the edge about to spew. Then, I remembered something. When I usedta get woozy in really heavy seas, I would go fer a walk and stand on a sponson somewhere to watch the sea. That is what ultimately helped this time. I was sitting in the middle of the boat and not looking at the sea around. This is when I was the closest I've ever been to throwing up from sea sickiness. I moved to the edge, not to stop it, but seriously, to just give in and do it. I thought this would be a horrible thing for 'Navy John' to do, but I had resigned myself to accepting it. But, like I said, looking out at the sea helped and, especially since it got warmer and less choppy, I did not have problems no mo, whew.

So, we ended up with a string of fishes, well Scott did. All the fishes went to his stringer. None were, in my opinion, and Jennie's actually, worth the trouble. Since the boat peeps cleaned the fishes for their fishers, it was a lot less trouble. However, cooking them, eh. If I am around and there is a fish to be eaten, ok, I'll do my part. There was no big Marlin or human-size shark anywhere on the boat. I caught a few 11" bass, which were an inch too short, which is the story of my life, an inch too short. -sniffle-. I did catch a 'Oyster Cracker' as the cap'n called it, because of it's very strong jaws and lots of teeth. This thing was like all mouth. He said, 'look' and let it latch on to my fishin pole. It was like frickin Vise Grips. Cool. He said it actually cracks open oysters, which is why it bees called that.
This morning I woke up with an idea. I would take advantage of the awesome view we have of the beach from the deck outside our room. I walked out on the deck and guesstimated a good location. My camera phone camera is not quite capable of capturing it because it is quite a distance, like 100 ft. or so, I dunno, way down thar, 3 stories down then ov'ar 50 ft. or so. The words was 'John Loves Emily', well loves wasn't a word exactly, it was a big heart with an 's' next to it. After I done had some coffee and emailed fer a bit, Emily was still sleeping, so I aksed her to help me with a picture, which was my lure to get her on the deck out'r. Her aunt, who said I gits the 'best boyfriend award' was down'r with her mom. Her dad brought his super-nifty-cool camera up to take a picture, that I will hasta get later, so I had a nice audience to guarantee my cool points were tallied prop'ly.
Emily and I sat out on the main deck and ates breakfast pizza. Once again, it was frickin awesome, perfect weather, breeze, seas. The fishing boat out there was a really cool photo opp, but my camera phone camera just don't bees making it showupable. I am tired of computing now, so I must go do nothing some more. I think a book and the deck and maybe a refreshing adult beverage will fit well into my model of the perfect frickin moment, again.

Listening to: Down In The River To Pray, by Alison Krauss

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like your blog. i think we (you, scott, myself, and a few others) felt the same in that this wasn't like any place we had had the luxury of staying in....it was overwhelming every morning. i need to get on scott (hah!) to do that pix to puter thing so that you may have the pic of larry blowing chunks.

i am already planning a return to topsail next summer, maybe not until october when robert-o returns.

processing the whole week hasn't taken place to date. it was all so emotional and exhausting. but i still laugh about a few moments here and there, not that i forgot about them, just hadn't had the opportunity to rethink them.....i am hoping that is what is going to get me through the shitty weather this winter. thinking of "summering in topsail"

keep in touch (with yourself! hahahaha...gross)
Kelly Lane, Proud new wife of Scott Jarrett