Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Life is frickin awesome, even when it isn't

Ok, so as I often do in the face of a challenge, I was crawling under our new home narrating out loud, adding my own sarcastically positive slant coupled with my honest appreciation of life. I joked about this being the most fun I could hope for and then, as I was crawling out from my last trip to the other end of the house, where the broken water pipe was, I thought, as I often do, how thankful I was that I could be crawling under the house. Life is hard. If I carry my coffee cup wrong, my hand will shake it all over the place. If my hand is at just the right, or wrong actually, angle while I am trying to hacksaw a broken pipe, it will shake and make it hard to keep the blade on a line. I walk like a drunk, even more so when I have actually been drinking. I talk like a drunk, more so when I’m tired, which I so often am.

Yeah, it sucks to be dealing with certain challenges, but, as in this case, it’s not hard for me to think, ‘well, I’m not in a wheelchair’. I mean, really, it’s hard and I’m dirty, but I am still glad to be doing it instead of being the cripple that I could be, stuck in a wheelchair, unable to enjoy the feeling of dirt in my fingers and my muscles flexing to propel me through the obstacles under a house. Furthermore, I am thankful that even though I had to grow through infancy again and relearn how to do everything, as an infant, such as walking, talking, writing, eating, thankfully, I still retained my sense of humor, my cognitive abilities, my memories, and the skills and abilities I am so thankful to have kept. I have always been a fixer and am glad that I still can be.

Listening to: Samsung call center robot.

No comments: