Sunday, August 5, 2007

OTC cleaning out the truck

I went to the beach again this morning. Before sitting in the sand in my umbrella chair wit my book, I parked the truck in the parking lot on the side that is right next to the water. I listened to the waves, which were actually crashing today, while I finally cleaned out the back back seat of the truck. I had basically piled everything up back ther since I moved down here. Today was the perfect time to do it. I enjoyed my coffee and took my time organizing my tool boxes, cooler, etc.

After I was done, I parked in the other parking lot, so I would walk past the foot-rinsing thing as I left. I picked a nice spot at the edge of the beach by the freaky trees with the above-ground roots. I enjoyed that spot, reading my book, for 20 minutes or so, until the little sunamabitches showed up. Some ants just decided to form a line and attack me. So, I moved on over to a shady spot beneath a palm tree.

I had a revelation as I sat there and read. The revelation was inspired by what I read. It was enlightening about my sitiation, too. The writer, John Eldredge, spoke of living by the mind and by the heart. This led me to develop my own two cents on this one. It is like anything, gotsta have moderation. Infidelity is a decision based on living by the heart. Living by the mind leads one to be cold and heartless. Hippies are all heart. Their lack of using their mind is what makes me dislike them so.

It really fit well into my thoughts about faith. I have been awestruck by people like some friends' daughter. She just does things without regard for all the possibilties for failure, and things work out. I am more on the side of the masses who fear the possibilities and, although I trust in God's will and feel He will bless me beyond my comprehension, I fear the challenges ahead.

So, here's what I came up with. Although, I feel I have learned to live by my heart a lot mo, I feel I have a ways to go still. Along the lines of moderation, I think there is a balance to achieve. Something like 50% mind and 50% heart. Ideally, I think the 'good' mix would be 40-60% for both.

The hippies would be at like 90% heart and 10% mind. The guy who is uncomfortable with feelings but is unstoppable in the business world, or fixing jets, would be around 10% heart and 90% mind. Since growing more accustomed to my new career as a beach bum and appreciating what's truly important, I feel I have learned to use my heart a lot more. I think I'm somewhere around 41% heart and 59% mind.

Listening to: The cute old lady next to me talking about strange pop-ups.

No comments: