Thursday, March 20, 2008

Another reminder of why I love humanity

I was just watching The History Channel and on came a show about alien stuff. They were talking about these huge 'radio telescopes' that several organizations use to monitor space for possible signals. There are religions that say that this is nonsense because we are a unique miracle made by God and the other planets are just scenery. I am, however, someone who believes in God, but am not arrogant enough to presume to know who and what God is and, furthermore, motivations and intentions.

I also believe God to be a scientist, our own awesome biology is undeniable proof of this. So, my thoughts, prolly heathen-like thoughts, are that, like us humans scurrying around on this planet, Earth is just a speck. This is more reason for me to think that it is silly to be arrogant enough to presume to 'know' anything and be content that God will allow me to know what I should know. This is not an excuse to be lethargic and not try or learn or research. It is simply a lack of interest in being 'puffed up' and aloof.


So, to wander back to my original thought, this is why I love humanity. There are so many different ideas and passions that people devote their lives to; aliens, the environment, alternative energies, religion, politics, drag racing, animals, and on and on. I love our country and am glad that I sacrificed and others, better than me sacrificed and continue to do so, so that everyone with their differing views are free to think and support whatever the hell they want to. However, my lack of interest in being arrogant is the reason why I'm not arrogant enough to think we are the only group of humans on the planet that have and support such ideas. I'm just glad to be in this country. I like it here.

I may not be as 'religious' about some of the ideas I support to varying degrees, such as aliens, green ideas, machines, animals, etc., but I am glad that these differing ideas are someone's passion. The cool thing is that the age of the dictator is long since past and, likely, the best (to most humans) idea is going to settle to the top of the pile. This is why, although I am not quite hippie-fied enough for the 'green' forums I frequent, I like to hear the ideas and exchange with other people who are interested in a lot of the same ideas that are further developed by our support. An ugly, underpowered hybrid is not long for this earth, in my opinion, but the engineering is good and the popularity furthers alternative fuel ideas in general, so we can end up with a widely useful vehicle.

Listening to: It can't rain all the time, by Jane Siberry

No comments: